Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Photo ops

About halfway through my missionary service in Texas, a new missionary was assigned to work with me. Part of her training included working on improving her Spanish. She was determined to speak the language and was not hindered by fear of making mistakes. One afternoon we met with a father and daughter whom we had been teaching. They wanted to take a picture with my companion and I, but we had been out riding bikes and weren't feeling very photogenic at the moment. The daughter insisted, set up the camera, and started the timer. My companion quickly raised her hand to smooth her hair and cried out, "Es que tengo malo pecho!"

Now if you want to complain about your hair in Spanish you would either use the word pelo or cabello. Unfortunately, this new missionary used the word pecho, which means chest. I'm sure that family (and I) will not quickly forget that she was the missionary who didn't want her picture taken because she had a bad chest!

No comments: